Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Two Princesses of Bamarre review


 Firstly, I wanted to reply to y'all's comments on the last review! :)

Hannah: It's a good book! I grabbed it at the last second at the library because the cover caught my eye, then I read the description when I got home, and I was lost...

Lydia: Ooooh hai Lydie! (can I call you that?) It's been a while, twin! ;) Although, we probably don't look so much alike anymore...
 Yeah, Entwined is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, which is also why I liked it so much. I thought there wasn't another good one other than Jessica Day George's retelling, but this one is pretty well done; both different writing styles.


 Now, to the review...





Title: The Two Princesses of Bamarre
Author: Gail Carson Levine
Series: None
Pages: 241
Publisher: HarperCollinsPublishers
Genre: Fantasy
My rating: 5/5 stars, I think. I love Gail Carson Levine.

Summary/Description:

 Twelve-year-old Addie admires her older sister Meryl, who aspires to rid the kingdom of Bamarre of gryphons, specters, and ogres. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful even of spiders and depends on Meryl for courage and protection. Waving her sword Bloodbiter, the older girl declaims in the garden from the heroic epic of Drualt to a thrilled audience of Addie, their governess, and the young sorcerer Rhys.

But when Meryl falls ill with the dreaded Gray Death, Addie must gather her courage and set off alone on a quest to find the cure and save her beloved sister. Addie takes the seven-league boots and magic spyglass left to her by her mother and the enchanted tablecloth and cloak given to her by Rhys—, along with a shy declaration of his love. She prevails in encounters with tricky specters (spiders too) and outwits a wickedly personable dragon in adventures touched with romance and a bittersweet ending.



My thoughts:
    I adore this book; then again, I love a heaping ton of books. Anywho, I've read this book twice.Which means it's good; if I like a book, I read it more than once.

 Well done; it's my type of book, which means it includes sarcasm; I like sarcasm, but there's not very much in this book, but hey--this book had me resisting the urge to flip the page and see what happens before I finished reading the part I was at. There's a dash of romance, which is okay; I don't like a lot of romance at all, but it's good to have a little bit, I think.
  There's adventure, of course or I wouldn't like this book at all, I don't think.
okay, I'm really just blabbering. This book is wonderful. Read it.
  Nothing inappropriate, or I'd point that out right away. It's a thrilling book. Read it.

This book is told from a first person. Just though I'd let you know. 

Next up for review....Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. You can visit her blog by clicking on this sentence. Heartless will probably be a better review than this one; I don't know, the one I just did was a little difficult for me to review, who knows why. It was an excellent book.

  I'll review anything else by request, if y'all would so wish, as long as it's appealing to me. Example: I will not read anything I think is inappropriate. My book moods vary; sometimes I like this type of historical fiction and sometimes I abhor another type. 


Cheerio, y'all, and hope to hear from my long-time-no-see-Lydia girl again! :)
Molly


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

¡Me encantan los comentarios!
(I love comments!)